Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
FRNSW set to undertake PFAS environmental investigations at five sites
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is set to carry out the next stage of an environmental investigation to identify the extent and levels of per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) at...
Tuesday 22nd November 2016
Regional recruitment TV ad seeks new firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has today launched a new recruitment ad campaign seeking retained (on-call) firefighters from throughout regional NSW. The 60-second TV ad, launched via social media today and...
Friday 22nd July 2016
Cold snap prompts firies to warn: keep ash out of trash
As record low temperatures continue to bite NSW, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are warning householders to take every precaution in disposing of ash from fireplaces and...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
New firefighter academy for Sydney's west
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have announced plans for a new state-of-the-art firefighter training facility in Sydney’s west. Final negotiations are underway...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Dec 2, 2016, 4:45 pm - ASHCROFT | #FRNSW on scene at 2ha grass #fire behind Ashcroft High School. F/fighters attacking #fire at rear of school. Ops continuing.
- Dec 2, 2016, 3:23 pm - #FRNSW is urging residents not to hesitate calling Triple Zero (000) in an emergency - it could be the difference b… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/804541577678835712 [external link]
- Dec 2, 2016, 3:01 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Total fire bans for Sat 3/12 - Nth Western, Nthn Slopes and Upper CW Plains. Warm and windy conditions. #NSWRFS
- Dec 2, 2016, 1:17 pm - MOREE | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd house #fire. Crews mopping up.
- Dec 2, 2016, 1:05 pm - MOREE | UPDATE: Roof partially collapsed at house #fire. 2 #FRNSW crews continuing ops.
- Dec 2, 2016, 12:59 pm - RT @MoF_Sydney: Firefighter Pat Edwards is carried to safety after a live wire carrying 240 volts fell on his brass helmet. #FlashbackFrida…
- Dec 2, 2016, 12:44 pm - MOREE | #FRNSW f/fighters on scene at house #fire. Single lvl house well alight. Ops underway.
- Dec 2, 2016, 12:32 pm - GREENWICH | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a #fire in a 2 lvl house. All out and no injuries. Crews mopping up.
- Dec 2, 2016, 11:56 am - GREENWICH | #FRNSW crews at a #fire in a 2-storey house. F/fighting ops underway.
- Dec 2, 2016, 10:14 am - #FRNSW was honoured to support house #fire survivor @BuchanLinda at her book launch last night. Congrats Linda!… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/804463811805618176 [external link]
- Dec 1, 2016, 5:54 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Total Fire bans will be in place for the #Sydney, #Hunter, #Nthn Slopes and #Nth Western areas tomorrow Fri 2 December. #NSWRFS…
- Dec 1, 2016, 2:45 pm - HILLSDALE | Chemical company is currently undertaking a controlled flare burn-off at its facility. Flame can be seen across Sydney.