Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
New FRNSW Commissioner welcomed in Sydney
Retiring Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has officially transferred command to new Commissioner Paul Baxter during a special ceremony at City of Sydney Fire Station today. Symbolising the...
Monday 16th January 2017
Minister announces new Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott today announced the appointment of Paul Baxter, National Commander and CEO of the New Zealand Fire Service, as the next Commissioner of Fire &...
Monday 9th January 2017
FRNSW set to undertake PFAS environmental investigations at five sites
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is set to carry out the next stage of an environmental investigation to identify the extent and levels of per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) at...
Tuesday 22nd November 2016
Regional recruitment TV ad seeks new firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has today launched a new recruitment ad campaign seeking retained (on-call) firefighters from throughout regional NSW. The 60-second TV ad, launched via social media today and...
Friday 22nd July 2016
Cold snap prompts firies to warn: keep ash out of trash
As record low temperatures continue to bite NSW, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are warning householders to take every precaution in disposing of ash from fireplaces and...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
New firefighter academy for Sydney's west
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have announced plans for a new state-of-the-art firefighter training facility in Sydney’s west. Final negotiations are underway...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Jan 23, 2017, 9:21 am - Mt Ousley/ #FRNSW at truck roll over, south bound, under Mt Pleasant overpass
- Jan 23, 2017, 9:18 am - COROWA | UPDATE: F/fighters putting out final hot spots following house #fire, Henry St. All occ's accounted for.
- Jan 23, 2017, 7:37 am - COROWA | #FRNSW at a house #fire. House well alight on arrival. F/fighting ops underway.
- Jan 22, 2017, 10:36 pm - CHATSWOOD|#FRNSW attending to a building fire in Centennial Ave. Appears to be an outbuilding at Chatswood Public School
- Jan 22, 2017, 8:15 pm - SADLEIR|#FRNSW ATTENDING A BOAT ALIGHT OUT FRONT OF HOUSE IN SADLEIR
- Jan 22, 2017, 8:09 pm - SADLEIR|#FRNSW FIGHTING HOUSE FIRE AT SADLEIR.
- Jan 22, 2017, 7:34 pm - MT DRUITT|#FRNSW attending fire in a chicken shop. fire started in chimney flue. fire has been knocked down however still large amt of smoke
- Jan 21, 2017, 6:53 pm - SMEATON GRANGE|#FRNSW attending Factory fire 12 Fire trucks on route
- Jan 21, 2017, 12:10 pm - RT @nswpolice: @nswpolice @NSWRFS @NSWAmbulance @FRNSW @NSWSES are battling it out at the Mega Bash Peakhurst to raise funds for Sydney Chi…
- Jan 20, 2017, 11:16 am - RT @MoF_Sydney: Eight picnickers on the Silver Queen were forced to leap into Botany Bay due to an on-board fire, 30 May 1965. #FlashbackFr…
- Jan 20, 2017, 10:46 am - BOTANY | UPDATE: F/fighters have contained fire in flue & are checking ceiling for fire spread.
- Jan 20, 2017, 10:41 am - VACY | #FRNSW aiding @NSWRFS at a house #fire, Summer Hill Rd. Hme well alight. All occ's accounted for. F/fighting ops underway.