Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Minister launches new Winter Fire Safety campaign
Minister for Police and Emergency Services, Michael Gallacher today urged householders not to be complacent after it was revealed that while the vast majority of NSW residents considered their homes...
Thursday 16th May 2013
Fire Chief warning after spate of Sydney unit fires
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents not to be complacent about home fire safety following a spate of unit fires in Sydney today (Wednesday...
Wednesday 10th April 2013
Wet and cold weather prompts home fire safety reminder
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) reminds NSW residents not to resort to unsafe practices to dry wet clothing and flooring during the current spate of wet weather. Superintendent Tom Cooper, Manager...
Thursday 4th April 2013
87% of New South Wales households are not compliant with Australian fire services recommendations
NSW residents are still placing their homes at great risk of fire with only 13 per cent of NSW family households admitting to meeting Australia’s fire and emergency services’ guidelines,...
Wednesday 3rd April 2013
Triple Zero kid game upgraded to target at-risk groups
Federal Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management, Mark Dreyfus, and emergency services personnel have today launched an upgraded online computer game for primary school-aged children to educate at-risk groups on...
Thursday 28th March 2013
Tumut Firefighter Championships a success
Fire and rescue officers from across NSW battled it out in front of scores of spectators at the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Firefighter Regional Championships at Tumut over the...
Wednesday 27th March 2013
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
Bushfire Information Line
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- May 25, 2013, 12:55 pm - Update #PortStephens: 2 #FRNSW firefighters have placed container in #hazmat drum. Nil readings. Exclusion zone reopened.
- May 25, 2013, 11:40 am - #FRNSW assisting #NSWRFS, #NPWS after suspected toxic canister washed up on beach sth of #Birubi SLSC, #PortStephens.
- May 25, 2013, 7:47 am - Good work by #FRNSW crews to contain a unit #fire to 1 b/room, Turcutta St, #WaggaWagga o'night. Don't leave candles unattended.
- May 25, 2013, 6:44 am - #FRNSW crews and other em services responded to train and car acc at rwy crossing #Wauchope o'night. Rail line currently closed.
- May 24, 2013, 4:47 pm - Update: #GreenValley garage #fire extinguished. #ASNSW treating 1 person.
- May 24, 2013, 3:51 pm - #FRNSW crews responding to garage #fire, Nth Liverpool Rd, #GreenValley. Garage attached to house. Firefighting ops under way.
- May 24, 2013, 3:19 pm - #FRNSW assisting #NSWRFS at truck vs car acc, #PacificHwy, #Kundabung nr #SthKempsey. Truck has gone into gully. 3 ppl taken to hospital.
- May 24, 2013, 2:20 pm - Update: #MtDruitt bus #fire has been extinguished.
- May 24, 2013, 1:58 pm - #FRNSW responding to bus #fire. Bus well alight at back of house, Hythe St, #MtDruitt.
- May 24, 2013, 1:20 pm - #FRNSW have extinguished #fire in a fuse box, #PicnicPoint high school library. 100 students and 8 staff evac'd as a precaution.