Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Interim ban extended on alcohol-fuelled burners [external link]
- Interim ban on sale of portable decorative alcohol-fuelled burners [external link]
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Time is running out to enter FRNSW's Brigade Kids Champion Competition
Time is running out for budding young artists to enter the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Brigade Kids Champion Competition. Children from Kindergarten to Year 2 across NSW are encouraged to...
Thursday 13th April 2017
Fire safety advice for when flood clean up begins
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is urging people in flood-affected areas to pay particular attention to their fire safety when cleaning up during the flood and when it recedes. FRNSW Acting...
Sunday 2nd April 2017
Change your clocks and check your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters today urged residents to check their smoke alarms are in good working order when they change their clocks at the end of Daylight Saving...
Thursday 30th March 2017
Calling all young artists to enter the Brigade Kids Champion Competition
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is calling on all budding young artists across the state to use their creativity and imagination to help promote fire safety, and have the chance...
Monday 13th March 2017
Fairer funding for fire and emergency services
A fairer system for funding NSW fire and emergency services is one step closer today, with Treasurer Dominic Perrottet to introduce the Fire and Emergency Services Levy Bill. The legislation gives...
Tuesday 7th March 2017
Forbes fire captain named in Australia Day Honours
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) fire officer Captain Brian Clarke’s long and dedicated service in leading emergency response and educating residents...
Thursday 26th January 2017
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Apr 22, 2017, 12:24 pm - CHARLESTOWN | #FRNSW on scene at another house fire. All occupants have been accounted for.
- Apr 22, 2017, 12:22 pm - ORANGE | #FRNSW on scene at house fire. The house is well alight and crews are battling the blaze to bring under control.
- Apr 21, 2017, 2:42 pm - SMITHFIELD | #FRNSW attending chemical spill, Woodpark Rd. Evacuations underway. Ops continuing.
- Apr 20, 2017, 4:17 pm - SAVE THE DATE! Just one month to the #FRNSW Open Day. Sat May 20. We're throwing open the fire station doors just f… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/854942070414360576 [external link]
- Apr 20, 2017, 12:04 pm - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: PYRMONT: Thomas St is closed eastbound between Wattle St and Harris St due to a gas leak. Exercise caution.
- Apr 20, 2017, 11:40 am - COBBITTY | UPDATE - light plane crash #FRNSW firefighters treated 2 passengers. Foam blanket over plane. Ambulance on scene. Ops continuing
- Apr 20, 2017, 11:31 am - COBBITTY | #FRNSW on scene. Light plane down in paddock near Camden Airport. Ops continuing
- Apr 20, 2017, 6:22 am - BROKEN HILL #FRNSW with #ESSENTIAL ENERGY attending numerous locations with wires arching . Crews working to fix problems
- Apr 18, 2017, 3:25 pm - BLACKTOWN | #FRNSW crews on scene at house fire, Kildare Rd. Multiple units at work. Ops continuing
- Apr 16, 2017, 9:15 am - Hurry and get your posters in for the #BrigadeKids #Champion #Competition before it closes on 23 April.… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/853386267974930432 [external link]
- Apr 15, 2017, 9:05 am - There’s still time to enter the #BrigadeKids #Champion #Competition and win some great prizes. Visit… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/853021334150008833 [external link]
- Apr 14, 2017, 12:26 pm - REDFERN | #FRNSW crews on scene at Redfern have extinguished house fire and are commencing overhaul https://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/852709682951016448/photo/1 [external link]