Information that in some way identifies you as an online user of FRNSW's services may be gathered when you email us, or when you interact with our website.
What information is collected?
When you look at the FRNSW website, our Internet Service Provider makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
- your server address
- your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk)
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded
- the previous site you have visited
- the type of browser you are using.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
How do we use the information collected?
To improve the website and the services provided by FRNSW, we will extract and publish aggregated information about usage patterns from these records.
FRNSW will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 [external link] and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 [external link].
What exceptions are there to this rule?
FRNSW will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published FRNSW pages
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the FRNSW website
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the FRNSW website by other websites
- attempts to intercept messages of other FRNSW website users
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the FRNSW website by other users.
FRNSW reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the FRNSW website raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the unlikely event of an investigation, FRNSW will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Who has access to the information?
FRNSW uses an Internet Services Provider, which collects the information as described above.
If FRNSW needs to access the raw data, access is restricted to a limited number of staff employed by FRNSW for the purpose of analysis and performance measurement of the website. The staff who can access this data are the:
- Director Information Technology
- Manager Corporate Communications Capability
- Web Publishing Coordinator
FRNSW will only record your email address if you send us a message. Your email address will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which you have provided it and it will not be added to a mailing list or used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent.
Users are advised that there are inherent risks in transmitting information across the Internet.
A cookie is a small piece of data that a website can send to your browser (which may then store it on your computer) that is designed to save your preferences or keep track of information you have previously selected. A cookie cannot retrieve any data from your hard drive, pass on computer viruses or capture your email address.
Cookies can be either ‘persistent’ or ‘session’ based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and may be used to track your browsing behaviour upon return to the issuing web site. Session cookies are short-lived, are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you quit your browser.
This website only uses session cookies and only during a search query of the website. Our Internet Service Provider has assured us that no cookies are employed on this site except for those associated with the search engine. The web site statistics for this site are generated from the web logs as outlined above.
Upon closing your browser, the session cookie set by this website is destroyed and no personal information is maintained which might identify you should you visit our web site at a later date.
For further information about privacy contact the FRNSW Privacy Officer.